Thursday, July 17, 2008

Civil War (Marvel Comics)

Civil War (Marvel Comics)

greatest series ever

This is one of the greatest marvel series ever created. Shame on all of you who say otherwise.

Marvel: Civil War

I have always been a fan of comic book heroes while having not been a frequent reader of comic books. I never had a group of friends nor the extra money to spend on comics. This series might change the latter part of that statement. I am now going to start setting aside some money to become a more frequent reader. And some of my friends are dong the same because of this book. If you are a casual comic reader I would highly reccomend this series.

The ultimate crossover

Spiderman, Iron-man, Capitan America, Fantastic Four, Thor and all the superheroes of Marvel's Universe in the most incredible cross over in the history of comics.

Civil What?

I love The Ultimates, and I think it's one of the best Avenger type stories around. I have the entire series, and Millar really gets those characters (whereas the new series by Loeb kinda stinks). That's why I was shocked to read Civil War in it's individual issues. I kept expecting it to become good, and it just got progressively worse and worse. No character in this storyline is consistent with their personalities throughout all of Marvel history. These characters are HEROES, and they are shown willing to kill each other over government sanctions??? What???!!?? A deadly tiff among superheroes? The artwork is the only thing that is worth looking at, and even that gets a little inconsistent at the end. What's really bad is how incredibly cynical AND manipulative this comic is. We are made to specifically dislike one "side," and they are the ones who win... cause... life's not fair??!??! Who knows? But what I do know is that these superheroes wouldn't pick sides in something this stupid. They would unite because that is what they have always done. This was a cheap ploy for sales, and they basically did this just to see how bad they could mess Marvel up so you would have to buy issues of these offshoots. Bad form. There has been SOME good out of the series: The Thunderbolts is a pretty good storyline now with Ellis writing it, and Captain America is still going strong (even without Cap?!) because of the talents of Ed Brubaker and Epting. These characters howevr are so inconsistent it makes you want to scream. The What If? Civil War storyline with the alternate version of the conclusion of Civil War is better and more accurate to who these characters are than this entire volume. Not worth the paper it's printed on.

Sophisticated Story by a Top Writer

In Civil War, Mark Millar does what he does best. He tells an intriguing and sophisticated story about super-heroes wrestling with complicated and morally ambiguous issues. His versions of many of Marvel's oldest super-heroes will seem slightly unfamiliar but ultimately the story and its heroes are very compelling. Civil War begins when a group of young super heroes known as The New Warriors attempt to apprehend a group of super-villains while simultaneously promitng themselves on a relaity television show. One of the villains (Nitro) explodes, levelling the town of Stamford Connecticut. The massive death and destruction wrought by the explosion leads to calls for the registration of all super-powered beings with the federal government. Some heroes such as Iron Man and Reed Richards support the idea of superhero registration but others such as Captain America resist it. Ultimately this leads to a Civil War between the two camps which is filled with its own share of ironies and tragedies (including the death of the hero Goliath). Millar does a good job of exploring the motives and thinking of the leaders of the two camps (Iron-Man and Captain American). The clear distinction between good and evil that is present in most comic book story lines is almost completely absent here. Both sides struggle to come to terms with how their actions will influence society and the super-hero community at large. Millar himself tends to let his characters speak for themselves rather than trying to lead the readers toward any particular judgment. The story itself is tightly paced and has some very suspenceful action sequences. Overall, I would rate it is one of the best comic book story lines in recent years. I can understand why it would leave comic book readers who crave a more clear cut handling of moral issues a bit unsatisfied. But if you want a book that uses super-heroes to wrestle with some of the complex moral questions we face in the twenty-first century, this is a great read.



Keyword : marvel

No comments: